Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Netbook just too slow?

As a big Ubuntu fan I obviously have it installed on my trusty Lenovo netbook, but unfortunately, as with all operating systems, Ubuntu has become more centred around aesthetics recently, meaning my puny Intel Atom N450 is struggling to keep up. 

Now, don't get me wrong I'm not complaining about the look of Ubuntu, in fact I love Unity, it works great on my laptop but it's just that little bit too much for my netbook, meaning that it can't play flash video while running it never mind flash based games. 

"Unity 2d!" I hear all you Ubuntu fans say, but I just can't seem to hack it, the fallback option doesn't seem to flow like Unity 3d. It simply doesn't work as well. So that's out.

Although I'd like to think of myself as patient, waiting for the upcoming Ubuntu release is way too difficult for me, so as I always do I have a beta running on my netbook (although you wouldn't notice). With version 12.04 being a LTS (Long Term Support) the Ubuntu team have made for an easy transition from 10.04 LTS, meaning Gnome 2.x is back! Yes you heard me right, the "Gnome classic" session works almost flawlessly.  No more out of place buttons and wrong coloured items for those of you who just can't seem to make the change to Unity, or maybe those of you with a netbook...

Any daring 12.04 Ubuntu users out there with slow Unity-struggling netbooks, get onto that Ubuntu Software Centre and install the "Gnome" package. Once installed log out and click the Ubuntu logo next to your login name, select Gnome classic" and log in! Here is where you will be faced with the more traditional looking desktop (although may I add, with fully functioning indicator applets!)






Unfortunately everyone else is going to have to wait until April 26th, which is the release of version 12.04, where you will be able to, once again own that speedy netbook of your dreams.


Windows users. Don't worry I haven't forgotten you. Although massively more ugly, windows users too can free up some CPU usage by turning off their fancy visuals. Take a visit to control panel, and then click on "change the theme" under "Appearance and personalization" and select the "Windows classic" option. If this is too far into the past then give "Windows 7 basic" a try, although this does not have as much of an effect as choosing Windows classic. If you are having trouble doing this, it may be caused by the fact that your running Windows 7 starter edition which limits functionality, and therefore, in my eyes, you should be making the move to Ubuntu. For the Ubuntu download and more information about this (outstanding) operating system visit the website linked here. If you encounter an problems this link takes you to a brilliants page where you can search for you answer, and if it's not there ask your question there too.


Credit to my Dad for the "Windows classic" option trick.


No comments:

Post a Comment